Thursday, February 24, 2011

TRUE GRIT

I'm going to start my reviews off with all the films nominated for best picture in this upcoming 2011 Academy Awards. True Grit, as you know, is a Coen Brothers film and it is their second time working with The Dude (Jeff Bridges).
It is based a novel by Charles Portis but the Coen Brothers wrote the screenplay. From what I've heard, they stay very close to the book, unlike the original True Grit, starring John Wayne.
So if you're thinking this is a remake of the original 1969 film, you're wrong.
In my opinion, the Coen Brothers are probably the best story tellers in Hollywood. They don't make movies for the money, they just want to tell a story and do it well. This movie was a great story and as usual, my boy Roger Deakins did an AMAZING job with the cinematography. Not to mention the music by Carter Burwell, which is ALWAYS good. The acting by everyone is top notch, especially the young girl, Haliee Steinfeld who plays "Mattie Ross".
This was not my favorite Coen bros. film but it was not bad. I just have a problem with the ending, just like in No Country For Old Men. It felt VERY rushed. I can almost picture the studio Execs. telling the Coen Bros. "You guys need to cut this ending down. Take this out, and this, and this...." I've heard stories of this happening when I was at The Weinstein Company and I can assure you it's true. They don't care about how the film turns out, they care about how long it is and they're afraid people won't sit through it.
Anyway, in my opinion, True Grit is not worthy of best picture but it is worth checking out. There are some really good scenes and as I said before, it's visually pleasant to look at. The ending, I think you will just be like "Okay, that's it? I guess?" It doesn't really leave you thinking about anything other than, it could have ended a hell of a lot better.
WAIT FOR DVD

1 comment:

  1. More worthy of Best Picture than any other. More so than Social Network. At least True Grit didn't have to CG people's breath in the cold scenes.

    ReplyDelete