Friday, February 25, 2011

BLACK SWAN

I know there are some Darren Aronofsky haters out there, and they think he's gone off track, but I don't agree 100% with that. When I saw that this was his next film, I was a little worried because it's probably one of the worst subject matters for gaining my interest.
The Wrestler was well acted by Rourke, but it didn't blow me away or anything and I think it got WAY more praise than it should have. It had more potential, for sure and I loved that it was about a washed up Wrestler. I would be lying if I didn't say I loved me some old school WWF and even some of the later WWE stuff back in the day with my boys Jason and Jeff.
If you haven't seen Aronofsky's other films, I highly recommend "Pi", "Requiem for a Dream" and "The Fountain."

Black Swan did a surprisingly good job of keeping me from falling asleep. Beautifully shot by the mad genius, Matty Libatique. Music by Clint Mansell is also, always good and very disturbing at the same time. The movie was written by....a shit load of people. Most of them are newbies, I know Mark Heyman wrote the Wrestler.
Anyway, I do have to give props to Vincent Cassel and Natalie Portman on this one. They did a fantastic job, as well as Barbara Hershey who scared the shit out of me, even though she didn't really do anything. Mila Kuniz however doesn't deserve THAT much praise, she didn't play a very complicated role. Seems like she pretty much played herself. Then again, maybe I just hate her because she made fun of me one time for calling her Meg....true story.
The movie itself was pretty predictable, but I don't think it was supposed to be about some crazy twist at the end, but more about lesbians....just kidding. It's about the struggle of someone who desperately wants to succeed and dedicates themselves a little too much...I think.

Overall, I would say it's worth checking out but it's not gonna blow you away or anything. I can't say I hated it, but I can't say that I loved it either. I think the media has pumped it up WAY too much, especially when it was just coming out in the theater. Those commercials that had Natalie Portman come up really close to the camera and showed her crazy eyes, that was pretty fucking cheese and made me think the movie might be a comedy.
WAIT FOR DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment