Thursday, October 28, 2010

THE SOCIAL NETWORK

Probably my favorite movie of the year, next to Inception. It's not because it's directed by my favorite director either. You know a movie is good when you're thinking about it still, months later. I own it on bluray and I think about watching it over and over.

A lot of people believe that this is a true story about the founders of facebook, but is based on a book written by Ben Mezrich called "The Accidental Billionaires". Mezrich also wrote "Bringing Down the House" which was also turned into a film. You know it as "21" starring Kevin Spacey, Jim Sturgess, and Morpheus. Anyway, I'm certain the story has some truth to it, but as you know, it's just a movie.

Aaron Sorkin wrote the screenplay, who you probably know from his rapid fire dialog on his show "West Wing". He also created the show "Sports Night" and wrote "A Few Good Men". The quick dialog is definitely continued in this movie, The Social Network, but I'll get to that later. Let's talk about the director of this film, and just so happens to be my favorite director, David Fincher.
Entertainment Weekly calls him the #1 director working right now, and I'd have to agree, but then again, I've felt that way since the movie Seven back in 1995.
His visual style is unlike ANY other and I can always spot it from a mile away. The look to his work is just flat out brilliant and he always does an incredible job telling the story as well. In a lot of his interviews, he doesn't really talk about the look at all, he just wants the story to be told in the best way it can. You should look at all the music videos he has done and you will see that he showed us how much talent he has a long time ago. I recommend going on youtube and checking out "Janie's Got a Gun" by Aerosmith, "Roll With it" by Steve Winwood, "Oh Father" by Madonna and "Freedom 90" by George Michael. Those videos are fucking unbelievable.

The Social Network has SUPERB acting and seamless effects, as you'll see or did see with the camera work and the Winklevoss twins. Actually, you probably didn't even notice because it was just that good. There is a scene where the camera is pointing down from on a roof top and covers a lot of scenery but it was actually a bunch of high res shots spliced together, so cool.
The dialog is a little hard to follow at first, but you get used to it and the second viewing (which I recommend) definitely clears it all up. The characters are great and actually have a surprising amount of depth. I was a little pissed at first that Justin Timberlake was cast, but he held his own in this and was pretty impressive, unfortunately. Fucking talented bastard.
I'm betting that you've probably seen it, but if you haven't, you should just go out and buy it.
BUY IT!

1 comment:

  1. I 100% agree with what you are saying E. Seamless effects and great acting, even JT. I look forward to seeing it again when I buy it. Even though I know it was only based on the true story, I can not help but think about FB in a whole new light. Keep it up E.

    ReplyDelete