Friday, February 25, 2011

127 HOURS

I don't know why it took me so long to see this movie, because I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty stoked about it. The true story about Aron Ralston who got his arm caught between two giant boulders and had to cut his arm off! Sounds fucking crazy! How are they gonna make a movie out of that!? A dude stuck in one spot for 127 hours, sounds pretty boring.
Well, much to my surprise, it was not boring and Danny Boyle did an excellent job of keeping the movie flowing. There were some interesting and intense scenes, especially, THE scene...you know what I'm talking about. Boyle had some great help, with his fellow Oscar winner, Cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle and also (yes, TWO DP's) Enrique Chediak. These guys were key because how the hell can you make one character in one spot interesting? Well, they did a hell of a job.

James Franco is another one of those dudes that pisses you off because he's really good in everything, and he's a full time student at Stanford or whatever, and paints house, and is an architect, and designs all the rides at Disneyland, and makes shell art in his spare time. I might have made some of those up towards the end there but you get my drift.
He did a really good job in this movie and genuinely LOOKED like he was stuck under a rock for days. You really feel his frustration and pain just by looking at his face. By the time the movie was over, I didn't even realize that it had been that long. It went by really fast which is definitely a good sign. The scene where he cuts his arm off, and I'm not giving anything away because if you didn't know that happens, you should read or watch the news more. I fucking hate the news and I still knew about Aron Ralston and the arm incident. Anyway, the cutting of the arm is NOT as hardcore as everyone says it is. I heard that some people had to leave the theater and throw up or pass out. I mean, it's a little gory but there has been WAY worse shit to happen on the big screen. I would be lying if I didn't say I cringed a bit, but then I kind of laughed because you have to be pretty badass to cut off your own arm with a dull knife.
SEE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment